A virtual knockout competition, similar to our parkrun cup, but run over 5 miles and with a built-in gradient equalising factor.
This is an individuals competition; entrants were invited to respond to a facebook post or to an email message sent to the club mailing list.
Competition start date: Monday 5 October.
See who made the first cut
Check out Round 2 progress
It works like this:
- Run a 5 mile route and submit your time via the results upload form on the Virtual Events page.
It can be downhill but we need to know the net elevation (gain minus loss).
e.g on a Garmin device it is the difference between “elevation gain” and “elevation loss”, so a gain of 300 and loss of 100 = 200 net gain overall.
- For every 44 feet (13.4m) of overall loss we will add 10 secs to your minute mile pace (NB a looped run will be net zero).
- Similarly for every 44 feet (13.4m) of overall gain we will subtract 10 secs from your minute mile pace.
- Next, we will recalculate a new time based on this Grade Adjusted Pace (GAP).
- We will then take this new time and calculate your WAVA score – (a score out of 100 adjusted for your age and gender).
This is a knockout competition over 5/6 rounds, depending on the initial level of interest.
only the top 32/64 will go through
(if more than 64 in R1)
(if fewer than 64 in R1)
And these are the rules:
- 2 weeks allowed for each round
- A maximum of 2 submissions allowed per round
- All run times have an “expiry” date of 2 days, after that they are deemed to be beyond their “best before date”
- Run times are to be entered as race/elapsed time
- Run times will be made public after passing rule checks
An example of how the GAP is calculated
|Male aged 57||An elevation loss||Looped run net zero||An elevation gain|
|GAP adjust (secs)||-9:09||0:00||9:09|
|WAVA (male aged 57)||65.48%||66.16%||67.42%|