NORTHBROOK ATHLETIC CLUB COMMITTEE MEETINGS
held by video conference on 5 October 2021
A. French (President)
R. Adams (Chairman)
M. Baker (Secretary)
A. Mackness (Treasurer)
T. Hughes (Membership Secretary)
S. Duffy (Social Secretary)
S. Davies (Men’s Captain)
S. Eason (Women’s Captain)
R. Cox (guest)
- Apologies – none
- Matters Arising from previous meeting – The committee agreed there should be a post for Rob Cox on the committee. We need to get it ratified at the AGM. Tony French will look at wording for the role e.g. Chief Coach. Similarly, the role of Welfare Officer can become a post on the committee.
- Treasurer’s Report – Tony Mackness circulated details of accounts before the meeting. Approximately 223 members have paid subscriptions so far. The club is supporting ongoing CIRF/LIRF courses. There is no decision yet on the EA grant application. EA have sent out details of next year’s fees.
- England Athletics (EA) Coronavirus COVID-19 Advice – Current COVID rules are available, but they have been eased. The latest information is always available on the EA website or from the leaders and coaches. Leaders and Coaches are continuously reviewing the rules. The club COVID officer is also available for advice.
- Return to Training Pattern – Thanks to Rob Cox for attending. Training at Jaguar is continuing on Wednesdays. Members need to observe Jaguar rules and pay Jaguar membership fees. Members congregate outside, and not in the lobby area. The booking system for structured training sessions was extended for a while, but it was simplified. It will be discontinued soon. The start time of Wednesday sessions will be reviewed after a trial period. Also, there was discussion on possibly splitting big groups into smaller groups.
- Leaders and Coaches – As mentioned previously, the club is committed to increasing the numbers of leaders and coaches by funding CIRF/LIRF courses. An update on the people completing courses will be ongoing.
- Events – Spencer Davies and all the leaders are also doing a great job. Also, Kevin Coughlan and Roger Ladbury have been providing lots of running statistics and points tables. We funded men and women teams to the Sutton Park relays in September – Terry Moynihan did a great job organising the event. There were many runners completing the Equinox 24-hour relay – one of our teams claimed 2nd place. Cross-Country events will begin in November – dates and venues have been confirmed. Members must be first claim to run. Spencer suggested that ‘no-show’ runners should be encouraged to pay for places if they ask to run, then do not run without a good reason. Sally Eason will register women for the Midlands League. The Midland Cross-Country relays and Warwick University Cross-Country relays are also being organised soon. Some local Cross-Country training Saturdays have been organised. Spencer is also organising a paired 5km event with a mix of runners from Northbrook and other clubs which could help with recruitmen.
- Social Events – Sarah Duffy got some feedback on a survey for the Christmas celebrations. Most votes were for pub drinks / buffet over a formal meal. The 4th December is a date when an event can be organised, and details will be circulated to members. Sarah will also try to book a date and venue for the Awards Night.
- Runners of the Month – September 2021 – Men: Tommy Dempsey (great half marathon and 10km runs), Women: Kirstie Murray (Milton Keynes 20 mile improvement).
- Any other business:
- Runner of the Month vouchers – lots of the winners’ £5 vouchers are not being used. Therefore, we will create a poll for members with options about alternatives
- Club of the Year – our nomination has been submitted
- Coventry Half Marathon – Dave Long asked if members could support runners in the middle part of the route.
- Membership Fees – It was agreed that a reduced fee of £35 including vest is available to new members for the rest of the club year (a few months).
- AGM – decision needed on actual or virtual meeting, or both
- Summer Handicap – Bob Adams has ordered awards for winners
- Next Meeting – Tuesday 2 November 2021 at 7.30pm to be held by video conference.
Minutes prepared by Mark Baker