NORTHBROOK ATHLETIC CLUB COMMITTEE MEETINGS
held by video conference on 14 September 2021
A. French (President)
R. Adams (Chairman)
M. Baker (Secretary)
A. Mackness (Treasurer)
T. Hughes (Membership Secretary)
S. Duffy (Social Secretary)
S. Davies (Men’s Captain)
S. Eason (Women’s Captain)
R. Cox (guest)
- Apologies – none
- Matters Arising from previous meeting – none
- Treasurer’s Report – Tony Mackness circulated details of accounts before the meeting. Approximately 221 members have paid subscriptions so far. The club is supporting ongoing CIRF/LIRF courses.
- England Athletics (EA) Coronavirus COVID-19 Advice – Current COVID rules are available, but they have been eased. The latest information is always available on the EA website or from the leaders and coaches. Leaders and Coaches are continuously reviewing the rules. The club COVID officer is also available for advice.
- Return to Training Pattern – Thanks to Rob Cox for attending. There was a recent return to Jaguar for Wednesday training on 8th September. Members needed to observe Jaguar rules and pay Jaguar membership fees. Members congregated outside, and not in the lobby area. The booking system for structured training sessions was extended for a while, but it was simplified. Rob circulated a survey to members about training sessions, and there was a majority for sessions starting earlier.
- Leaders and Coaches – As mentioned previously, the club is committed to increasing the numbers of leaders and coaches by funding CIRF/LIRF courses. A small part of the funding will be paid by the candidate, then claimed back later. There was a communication to members about funding and what is expected, with a commitment to organising a minimum number of sessions. There was a great response, and we agreed to fund 11 candidates (9 will attend courses online, 2 will attend face to face courses later). Qualified leaders who are less active, were also encouraged to help the active leaders to share out sessions.
- Events – In August, the Summer Handicaps began, with a 3-race series. We will be funding men and women teams to the Sutton Park relays in September – Terry Moynihan is helping with the event. Spencer Davies and all the leaders are doing a great job. Also, Kevin Coughlan and Roger Ladbury have been providing lots of running statistics and points tables. Cross Country Events will begin in November – dates and venues have been confirmed. Members must be first claim to run. Spencer will send our Birmingham league registration form to the organisers. Sally Eason will check if the women need to register for the Midlands league. If the Warwick Cross-Country relays go ahead, we will enter some teams.
- Social Events – Sarah Duffy said that future events may focus on the cross-country season and Christmas. Further details will follow soon.
- Runners of the Month – August 2021 – Men: Simon Aldridge (great 10km race improvement and LIRF qualification), Women: Jill Pittard (great Headington 5 miles race and organising training sessions).
- Any other business:
- Runner of the Month vouchers – lots of the winners’ £5 vouchers are not being used. Therefore, we will create a poll for members with options about alternatives
- Club of the Year – our nomination has been submitted, and members were encouraged to add further nominations.
- EA Funding – Mark Baker has applied for further funding for coaching costs. We will hear if this is successful or not in October.
- Coventry Half Marathon – Dave Long asked if members could support runners in the middle part of the route.
- Membership Fees – It was agreed that a reduced fee of £35 including vest is available to new members for the rest of the club year (a few months).
- Health Policy – Tony French suggested that he could speak with Jenna Davies about the club policy, and report back.
- Northbrook 10km 2022 – the race should hopefully return next year, and a date is being considered
- Next Meeting – Tuesday 5 October 2021 at 7.30pm to be held by video conference.
Minutes prepared by Mark Baker