NORTHBROOK ATHLETIC CLUB COMMITTEE MEETINGS
held by video conference on 8 June 2021
A. French (President)
R. Adams (Chairman)
M. Baker (Secretary)
A. Mackness (Treasurer)
T. Hughes (Membership Secretary)
S. Duffy (Social Secretary)
S. Davies (Men’s Captain)
S. Eason (Women’s Captain)
R. Cox (guest)
- Apologies – none
- Matters Arising from previous meeting – none
- Northbrook 10Km race – There is a Strava segment for the 10km. The Northbrook 10Km plans to return in July 2022.
- Treasurer’s Report – Tony Mackness circulated details of accounts before the meeting. Approximately 210 members have paid subscriptions so far. The club is supporting ongoing CIRF/LIRF courses. More ‘runner of the month’ vouchers need to be purchased.
- England Athletics (EA) Coronavirus COVID-19 Advice – Current COVID rules for full lockdown, restrict training in groups. The latest information is always available on the EA website or from the leaders and coaches. Leaders and Coaches are continuously reviewing the rules.
- Return to Training Pattern – Thanks to Rob Cox for attending. . Currently, training places are limited until more leaders have been trained. The current leaders will only be able to organise a limited number of sessions per week, so patience is needed from members, Rob Cox said that we hope that some guidance rules may be changed soon to allow larger groups. As ‘normality’ returns there were some concerns about returning to training at Jaguar, and options are being looked at. We cannot expect to congregate in large numbers before training. Also, the booking system may need to be extended for a while to have manageable group numbers. The committee is still considering options.
- Leaders and Coaches – The club is committed to increasing the numbers of leaders and coaches by funding CIRF/LIRF courses. A small part of the funding may be paid by the candidate, then claimed back later. There will be a communication to members about funding and what is expected, with a commitment to organising a minimum number of sessions. It is also important to communicate with qualified leaders who are less active, to see if they can help the active leaders to share out sessions.
- Events – there has been great club interest in all the virtual events, and ‘NOT’ race series. Virtual training sessions will be displayed on the club website. Details of the virtual Summer Handicap were circulated. There will be a virtual marathon relay in May. There are lots of plans for June including the ‘Train Relays’. The ‘Cotswolds Hilly 100’ was on 6th June, and we funded all team entries. Six teams ran, and we won the mixed team prize again. Spencer Davies and all the leaders are doing a great job. Also, Kevin Coughlan and Roger Ladbury have been providing lots of running statistics and points tables.
- Jaguar Sports Club – Bob Adams and Tony French met the manager of Elite Sports, the new Jaguar Leisure Centre team. Northbrook club members who wish to use the showers, can purchase a leisure centre membership. However, we have negotiated a special concession where showers can be used for £1 each Wednesday (minimum Jaguar Social Club membership needed as well).
- Social Events – Sarah Duffy has booked the first club event after lockdown – it is a ‘welcome back’ event on Saturday 10th July at Jaguar club. The event will be preceded by some runs. There should be a bouncy castle for children, and a charity bake.
- Runners of the Month – May 2021 – Men: Chris Archer (ran marathon and half marathon in one week), Women: Carolyn Hadley (first marathon).
- Any other business:
- London Marathon Club Places – Mark Parker and Pia Singh were successful in the draw for club places for the October 2021 race. Joe Kelly is a reserve. There were 21 members in the draw. There will be no club places for 2022.
- Club Email System – Webmaster Roger Ladbury has recommended an improved solution, after recent email issues. There was support for funding a robust system, and Roger will report back on the best options.
- Cross-Country Events – Bob Adams attended the virtual League AGM. All Birmingham League fixtures are agreed and the women’s fixtures will be confirmed soon. Bob Adams also attended the Midlands virtual AGM. No National XC race is being organised for 2022.
- Award Cups – Bob Adams discussed clarification of the criteria and wording for winning some club cups.
- Parkrun – it looks like Parkrun will return soon, but we will wait for a specific date.
- Next Meeting – Tuesday 6 July 2021 at 7.30pm to be held by video conference.
Minutes prepared by Mark Baker