held by video conference on 8 December 2020


A. French (President)
R. Adams (Chairman)
M. Baker (Secretary)
A. Mackness (Treasurer)
R. Cawley (Membership Secretary)
S. Davies (Men’s Captain)
C. Fenn (Women’s Captain)
S. Duffy (Social Secretary)

  1. Apologies – J. Davies (invited as Welfare Officer)
  2. Matters Arising from previous meeting – none
  3. Treasurer’s Report – Tony Mackness circulated details of accounts before the meeting. We need to find out what England Athletics plans to charge us for fees next year, before we recommend a subs amount to members. The club’s current balance is relatively low after a difficult year. Mark Baker will arrange a bid to EA for a funding grant.
  4. England Athletics (EA) Coronavirus COVID-19 Advice – There have again been more changes recently to COVID rules in partial lockdown, which restrict training in large groups. The latest information is always available on the EA website or from the leaders and coaches. Currently, Coventry is in Tier 3. Leaders and Coaches are continuously reviewing the rules.
  5. Virtual Events – there has been great club interest in all the virtual events, and ‘NOT’ race series. Thanks to all the organisers and statisticians. The virtual Equilibrium 5 miles knockout has been completed, and Mike Duggan was the winner. There is currently a ’12 days of Christmas’ virtual event underway. Several members ran 100 miles in a week in a recent challenge.
  6. Social Events – Sarah Duffy has lots of ideas which were previously circulated in a plan to the committee and leaders group. Rob Cox will organise a virtual quiz on 17th December. A New Year’s Eve video chat party could be arranged if there is enough interest. We will need to think about how we do our Awards Party based on restrictions.
  7. AGM – the date is Wednesday 20th January 2021 – the meeting will be virtual – Bob Adams will book the use of the Midlands video conferencing which allows easy counting of votes on submitted proposals. Mark Baker and Roger Ladbury will arrange for AGM notices to be emailed to members, with links to committee nominations and COVID Officer nominations, and proposal requests. Cath Fenn and Richard Cawley will be standing down from their roles. Thank you for all their work over many years.
  8. Race Championship Survey – Cath Fenn said that many survey responses were received to help the committee to decide on how to make awards considering the reduced number of actual races available, and virtual races done this year. Thanks to Elle Townsend for creating the survey. The committee agreed that 2020 was a difficult year, but main trophies only (not small shields) would be awarded to winners of each category in the actual race championships. This will recognise people who have run, but keep costs down for engraving, etc, when we have less income. There are no Summer Handicap winners or other awards eg Paul Kelly trophy this year. There will be votes for Clubperson of the Year and Most Improved Runner, but no shortlist will be created. The virtual races organised by Kevin Coughlan were very popular but arranged as a fun contest, so no awards will be given.
  9. Northbrook 10Km race – very provisional date is Sunday 11th July 2021. Sara Phipps said that Kelly Parker has joined the sub-committee
  10. Runners of the Month – November 2020 – Men: Mark Parker (ran 100 miles in 4 days),
    Women: Jeanette Chattaway (ran lots of miles).
  11. Any other business:
    1. Spencer Davies said that the club won the ‘runners-up prize’ at the Club of the year awards
    2. London Marathon Club Places – information for 2021 will be released in December, but the club cannot apply for places until at least March 2021
    3. Jaguar Fees – are being accepted now at the bar or leisure centre
    4. Midland Counties Athletics Association virtual meeting – Bob Adams gave an update on cancelled events
    5. Rainbow Storage – Tony French said that a new landlord is in place. We need to contact him to see if we can still use the facility, or move out our equipment.
  12. Next Meeting – Tuesday 5 January 2021 at 8 pm..

Minutes prepared by Mark Baker